When your dog is sick, you must focus on three things: monitoring their condition for rapid decline that requires veterinarian attention, providing nutritious meals that are easy on the stomach and keeping your dog hydrated!
TIP: If your dog is dehydrated, add a few tablespoons of plain electrolyte replacement (like pedialyte) to their meal! Don't use the flavored varieties!
This mixture works great to help sick dogs feel better fast!
Make sure your sick dog has access to fresh water at all times, and you can add 2 tablespoons of electrolyte replacement to their bowl of water, or even in their food!
Some more great TIPS for feeding your sick dog...
- When your dog first starts showing signs of sickness - like vomiting, diarrhea or lose of appetite - fast your dog for 24 hours! No food for 24 hours will help settle your dog's stomach. Make sure your dog always has access to fresh water!
- When you re-introduce food, start by feeding them in several small meals through out the day.
- If you dog is having diarrhea, make sure to take them outside to potty every hour until they start feeling a bit better!
- A probiotic and digestive enzymes can really help dogs feel better fast. Good bacteria takes up a lot of intestinal wall space, so bad bacteria can't get out of control!
- Keep your dogs hydrated by providing lots of fresh water, electrolyte replacement and/or bone broth!
- Lastly but most importantly, take your dog to see their veterinarian when your dog gets sick. If you dog gets worse after their vet visit, make sure you take them back in!
If you enjoy K9 Instinct's articles, you will love getting our weekly Newsletter! It's totally free, and you will get lots of great exclusive content delivered directly to your inbox! You won't want to miss out on all the free advice and recipes!