Coconut oil will help improve the integrity of the skin while moisturizing and providing healthy fats for the skin's lipid layer. Coconut oil can also prevents and treat yeast and fungal infections, including candida. This makes it an excellent skin treatment for dogs who are having trouble with their skin and coat.
The only thing you need for this treatment is virgin, unrefined (ideally organic) coconut oil in its liquid state (I place it by my heat vent or on top of the stove while I am cooking for it to naturally warm to a liquid state) and an all natural, gentle pet shampoo. Select a shampoo that is soap-free and contains no harsh chemical ingredients.
Coconut Oil Skin Treatment Instructions
- Give your dog a bath using all natural, soap-free shampoo tailored towards dogs with dry, itchy skin. Rinse thoroughly.
- After bathing your dog, leave them in the tub and apply the coconut oil all over their body, massaging it into the coat and on to the skin. Make sure to focus on the problem areas, like the paws and ears.
- Let the coconut oil sit on your dogs coat, giving it 7 - 10 minutes to absorb into the body. The longer you wait, the better the treatment will work.
- Rinse your dog with water, then lightly soap them up with shampoo. You want to use enough to get rid of the grease from the oil, without completely reversing the effects by 100% removing all oil from the coat. Do not leave any shampoo residue in the coat.
- Towel dry and brush your dog!
Supplements that improve skin and coat condition naturally:
If you enjoy K9 Instinct's articles, you will love getting our weekly Newsletter! It's totally free, and you will get lots of great exclusive content delivered directly to your inbox! You won't want to miss out on all the free advice and recipes!