It is very important to be aware of the food that can cause serious issues in dogs so that we can be certain they never get the chance to eat any of it. Even small amounts have been found to result in death in pets, so avoiding them all together is how we can keep our pets safe.
Onion and Garlic:
These two foods can cause vomiting, lethargy, weakness, pale gums, and damage to red blood cells (anemia), which leads to organ failure due to the lack of oxygen getting to organs.
The darker the chocolate, the worse the damage will be. Chocolate toxicity will cause vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, increased heart rate and eventually death.
Toxicity from eating grapes and raisins leads to kidney failure. Vomiting and diarrhea are the first symptoms, followed by weakness, refusal to eat, increased drinking, and abdominal pain.
Xylitol is an artificial sweetener found in gum and many kinds to candy. Xylitol has been found to cause liver failure and seizures. The consumption of Xylitol causes hypoglycemia.
Raw Yeast/Bread Dough:
The danger with raw yeast and bread dough is the fact that it expands in the stomach and can result in bloat, which can eventually lead to the very fatal stomach torsion.
Macadamia nut toxicity in dogs results in weakness in the hind end, wobbling, depression, tremors, hypothermia and increased heart rate. Macadamia nut toxicity can also result in kidney failure.
Typically symptoms of alcohol toxicity include vomiting, coma , lack of coordination, slow breathing rate, drowsiness, problems walking and moving, excessive urination and/or general unresponsiveness. Alcohol toxicity often leads to death. Some toothpaste and dental products for pets contain some alcohol, this should be avoided as they can cause damage to the nervous system, liver and kidneys over a period of time.
There has been a lot of back and forth about whether or not avocados are indeed toxic for pets to consume, but the poison control center for pets has determined avocado to be on the "toxic foods for pets" list, and with their reputation it is fair to say they are a trustworthy source. The issue with avocado is a product called Persin (found in every aspect of the fruit), which can cause vomiting and diarrhea.
The ASPCA says they won't make a definitive statement about processed foods because they don't know how they are processing the avocados, but that raw avocados contain the toxin persin.
It's better safe then sorry, so avoid these foods and keep your pets eating only what is safe and nutritious for them. Be careful when handling these toxic foods to keep them from getting to your pet's reach.