Warm your home with the aroma of apples, cinnamon and pumpkin while making your furry family members a healthy treat they can truly enjoy that also carries with it some health benefits. These aromatic cookies are made with wholesome coconut flour, which is grain and gluten free and can improve the condition of your dog's skin and coat. Cinnamon is a stomach soother that can also help regulate blood sugar, improve digestion and alleviate inflammation. I've paired the Cinnamon with pure unsweetened applesauce and pure pumpkin puree, both of which are packed full of nutrition! Pumpkin can improve digestion, help firm stool up and soothe an upset tummy.
- 2 1/2 cups of coconut flour
- 1 cup of applesauce
- 1 1/2 cups of pure pumpkin puree (NOT pie filling)
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl add your coconut flour, pure pumpkin puree, unsweetened applesauce, cinnamon and eggs.
- Combine all 5 ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Cut out your shape of preference with a cookie cutter, then place cookies on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
Coconut flour is a tricky flour to work with, it absorbs an immense amount of liquid and can be crumby at times. If your dough is too moist, add more coconut flour 1/4 cup at a time. If it is too dry, add more applesauce and pumpkin 1/4 cup at a time. Eggs are your binder, so if it is too crumby add another egg. This flour won't roll out the way wheat flour will, so just work with it! It will bake well and make a yummy soft dog cookie!
Since there are absolutely no preservatives used in this recipe they must be refrigerated. Cookies can be left out for 2 or 3 days at a time.
For more homemade recipes, nutrition information, blog articles and more like K9 Instinct on Facebook!
Don't forget to check out my other homemade dog treat recipes!